If you’re planning a kitchen remodel, one crucial decision you’ll need to make is to include an island or a peninsula in your design. Both options offer unique benefits, so it’s essential to consider your needs and preferences when deciding.
A kitchen island is a standalone counter that is typically located in the center of the kitchen. Legs or a base supports it and can be used for various purposes, including cooking, dining, and entertaining.
Benefits of a Kitchen Island:
- Additional Storage: Kitchen islands often include cabinets and drawers for extra storage space.
- More Seating: If you add bar stools or chairs, an island can provide additional seating for dining or entertaining.
- Added Workspace: An island can provide extra countertop space for meal prep, baking, or other kitchen tasks.
- Versatile: Our experienced designers at Renovation WA can help you customize your kitchen island to fit your unique needs and design preferences.
A kitchen peninsula is similar to an island but is connected to a wall or existing cabinetry on one side. It typically extends out from the kitchen and useful for dining, food prep, or as a bar.
Benefits of a Peninsula
- Space-saving: Peninsula is an island with a wall at one side, which makes it take up less space than an island while providing extra counter space.
- Open floor plan: A peninsula can help create an open floor plan by defining the kitchen area and separating it from the adjacent space.
- Storage: Like an island, a peninsula can include cabinets and drawers for extra storage.
- More seating: A peninsula can provide additional seating for dining or entertaining if you add bar stools or chairs
So which one is right for your kitchen? It ultimately comes down to your personal preferences and needs. An island may be the best option if you have a larger kitchen and need more counter space and storage. A peninsula may be better if you have a smaller kitchen or want to create an open floor plan. Consider your cooking and entertaining habits, as well as your design preferences, to make the best decision for your space. Please Call (425) 624-4242 for a Free In-home Consultation with one of our experts.